In case you’ve never used this application before, you need to go to its official website. This is where you can sign-up for a free account and get started. Let’s take you through the process of setting up Plex.
- Go to https://www.plex.tv/ and click on the ‘Sign Up‘ button in the top-left corner;
- You only need to enter your email address and desired password. Fill out the fields and proceed;
- After a couple of seconds, you will be greeted by your Account screen. You’ll see that Plex is offering you to upgrade to a premium account, but we’ll talk more about that later in the article;
- At the center of the screen, you’ll see a message that says ‘Install Your New Server‘. Click on a button below to download the application to your computer;
- Among some of the available platforms are Windows, Mac, and Linux. Click on your preferred platform and download the Plex Media Server application.
- After the file has been downloaded, finalize the procedure by installing the application.
Now, let’s take a look at what to do after you install the Plex Media Server on your computer.
- Start the application and you’ll be taken to your default Web browser.
- The first step is to name your Server. Once that is complete, hit ‘Continue‘;
- Now you need to add files. Click on the ‘Add Library‘ button. First, decide what kind of files you want to add: movies, pictures, music, etc.;
- Now click on ‘Browse For Media Folder‘. Navigate to your locally stored files and add them. Click here to find out how to prepare files before uploading them;
- Once you’re done, you can exit the setup screen and you’ll enter your newly created Media Server. Please note that you can always add new content by using the left-placed sidebar. Hover over ‘Libraries‘ and click on the Plus icon.
That’s it! You’ve successfully created your Media Server that will now be associated with you Plex account.